VP LNG Strategy and Communication
Cheniere Energy Inc
09:30 - 09:55
Thursday, 19 September 2019
S1.7 US LNG - The Game Changer
This presentation will;
- Provide an update on the current status of US LNG export projects
- Look at the resource base that is underpinning the export growth - and recent developments in US gas production
- Compare the expectations from various industry commentators for future growth in US LNG exports over coming decades, look at key determining factors, as well as the current status of the many proposed projects.
- Consider the role of the Panama Canal in US LNG exports - and the likely capacity requirements for LNG vessels over time
- Examine the commonly made assertion that the development of flexible, HH-indexed US LNG has led to a mismatch between the commercial aspirations of buyers, sellers and bankers, and
- Consider the extent to which US LNG has been, and will continue to be, a ‘disruptor’ in the development of global LNG trade dynamics, including contracting, trading and pricing.
It is now (as of January 2019) nearly 3 years since the first LNG cargo departed from the Sabine Pass LNG terminal in Louisiana. Since then US export volumes have increased rapidly, making the US one of the fastest growing LNG export nations in the history of the industry. With over 70 mtpa of liquefaction capacity operating or under construction the country is expected to become the third largest exporting nation by 2020.
As the developer of the first ‘lower 48’ export facility and approximately 50% of the current capacity operating and under construction, Cheniere is well placed to provide a review and commentary on the experience to date of bringing US export capacity online. In addition, as the largest seller of US LNG volumes and active trade participant, Cheniere is well placed to comment on the changes that US LNG has and could facilitate in international LNG trade dynamics.
It is clear that US LNG is having a major impact on the development of the LNG trade.
Gastech Houston represents the perfect opportunity to take stock of the story so far - and look forward to the future.